Video editing is the most powerful, daunting, and time-consuming part of the video creation process, IMHO.
And that’s on a good day!
To edit efficiently and effectively you need a system, a solid workflow. So you can spend more time developing great content for your YouTube channel, video marketing, or online courses.
In this video, I outline a 10-step video editing process that will help you edit your videos like a pro, no matter what video-editing software you’re using.
10 Steps for Editing Your Videos Like a Pro
- Mark the good takes while recording to save time in editing
- Organize your media before you start editing
- Make a “radio cut”. Edit an audio-only version of your video, first, to help you figure out your visuals
- Add transitions and effects AFTER creating a cuts-only version of your video
- Add on-screen text, but make sure it’s readable, particularly on small screens
- Level and clean your audio tracks
- Add appropriate music
- Mix together your music, sound effects, voice-over, and camera sound
- Export your video in the appropriate format for your destination platform
- Backup and archive your work
The above video editing process isn’t carved in stone. But, it’s what I’ve used for the better part of my 30 years as a professional video creator. Use it as a starting point, then adapt it to your unique situation.
Tools used to make this video (Affiliate links):
Camera Microphone: RODE NTG-2 Shotgun Microphone
Microphone Stand: K & M Microphone Stand with Telescopic Boom Arm
Audio Mixer: Yamaha AG03 3-Channel Mixer
Camera HDMI to USB 3.0 Capture: AJA U-TAP HDMI Simple USB 3.0 Powered HDMI Capture
Recording & Editing: Screenflow 8
*DISCLOSURE: I often link to products & services I regularly use and think you might find helpful. To support this site, I use affiliate links wherever possible, which means if you click one of the links above and make a purchase I may receive a small commission or other compensation.